Sunday, June 19, 2016

Installing a garage cord reel light just like Grampy had

My grandfather had a cord reel light in the middle of his garage when I was growing up. We used it a lot working on cars. I always thought that light was really cool.

It hadn't really occurred to me to put one in my garage until I was thinking about inspecting my mustang's bottom side and realized I needed a light that could go under the car for that.

As soon as I started thinking about having a light for inspecting the underside of the car I realized I wanted one of those reel work lights like my Grampy had.

I did a bit of searching on Amazon, looking at led ones first that were really expensive, but finally finding this classic style Craftsman Professional one with a 30 foot cord. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00329PMP4/ref=ya_aw_oh_bia_dp?ie=UTF8&psc=1



The directions said to make sure you installed it within two feet of an outlet. 

I cut and mounted a piece of 2x4 on my garage cieling attached to the boards that hold up my garage door opener. I then screwed in the included hook and hung the light. 


I was too conservative in my distance measurement  from the outlet the first time I installed it so I took it down, took down the board, and re-mounted the board further out. I like this better. 



30 feet is more than enough distance for anything I will ever need to do. :-)


I am really happy with my new light. It reminds me of good times with my Grampy.

No comments:

Post a Comment