Saturday, April 11, 2015

Garage Workbench Build: Day Six and Seven

Last night after work I finished building the frame for my workbench. 


I put the cross supports at one foot centers because that's what they did for a workbench I looked at the plans for online. 

I also moved one of the support brackets for my garage door rails as it was at exactly the same height as the bench will be and the bench will go out all the way to touch these rails when installed. 



Today I actually installed the workbench. 



I put a level line on the wall at the height I wanted the workbench, measured down 4.25 inches from there, and put screws in the wall just below that point for the bench to sit on until I got it fastened to the wall. 


I am doing a slanted support on the left end instead of going straight down to the ground. 

I marked and cut the angles at the bottom first, then at the top, then fastened it in place, and repeated the process for a second board. 

I ended up having to take this second board off again later when I realized it was covering one of the bolt holes for my bench vise. 

The bench was lag bolted to the wall at every stud. 

At this point I ran the wires for the outlet on the front of my bench using an aluminum conduit, but didn't get any pictures of this step. 

Finally I put the top plywood board on, screwed it down, sealed it with a 3m spray on sealer, and mounted my bench vise. (I did have to run to the store to buy new bolts before mounting the vise because the first set I bought was too short.)



I am really happy with how this is going. 













No comments:

Post a Comment