Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Review: Craftsman High Lift Jack Stands


I bought these a couple weeks ago from Sears and finally got around to unboxing them today. They cost me $32.43 with tax. 


They are decently packaged and I doubt they would be damaged even if the box got dropped or thrown around. 








That's my son biking by in the background below. He really wanted me to try these out. 



I am a little leery of the way the latching mechanism lets go. As long as there is weight on the jack stand it should be secure, but I wish it wasn't so easy to lift the handle and drop the jack stand to its lowest setting. Otherwise these seem sturdy and well built. 

Now for the bad news. The instructions clearly say I can't use these for any of the things I bought them for. 

The only authorized use is using two jack stands to lift one end of the car. 

You are not supposed to use these to lift one side of the car, so they are not meant for rotating tires. 

You are also not supposed to use more than two of these on the car, so no using four of them to lift the entire car and work under it. 




So my only options are to not use these for supporting the mustang during the restoration and buy others that are meant for this, if such a thing exists, or to ignore the clearly stated safety instructions.

Bummer. 

I will keep these anyway as the blogs I read show a lot of other uses for Jack stands during a restoration, like supporting the read axel when you take it off the car. 

I can't recommend these to anyone else though as these limitations mean these are a lot less useful than I hoped they would be. 










No comments:

Post a Comment