Thursday, May 26, 2016

Assessing my 1968 Mustang Coupe - Lola

I took a few pictures of Lola tonight after the kids were in bed. I was getting kind of worried about what I might have gotten myself into, but now I think I may have hit the jackpot as far as cheap old rust bucket 1968 Mustang Coupe's go. (Remind me of that in a few months or years when I have really gotten into this project.) 

The worst of the rust seems to be relegated to the floor pans. The frame rails all seem solid as far as I can tell except for the very front of the passenger side one under the battery tray.

There are a few small holes in the external body panels around the wheel wells of course, but that's expected on these cars. (I say like I am some kind of expert instead of the rank amateur I really am.)

Overall I think the rust level should be manageable. (Famous last words I know.)

Pictures below: 


















Front driver side frame rail. Looks solid. 



Battery tray area. This will have to be replaced. 

Drivers side looks solid though. 



Passenger side frame rail behind the shock tower looks good from above at least. 

Lola's engine. 

I need to finish putting up sheetrock on one remaining wall in the garage and build another shelf along the ceiling on that wall to move some boxes to before I can really get into taking Lola apart. I also want to put in an attic ladder so I can store stuff up there as well. Everything I've read about restoring these cars makes me think I am going to need a LOT of storage space.

No comments:

Post a Comment