Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Modifying wire frame slatwall shelves to work with slatwall inserts

I bought these wire frame slatwall shelves from Amazon a few weeks ago. 


They seem to be high quality units and are well built. However, I had a problem when I tried to install them in my slatwall, they wouldn't go in all the way. 


The wire supports are too thick to fit into my aluminum slatwall inserts. 


I proved this by comparing the size of the wire against a spare piece of slatwall insert I had. 

I considered returning them but all the other options were either much more expensive, flimsier, or both, so I decided to make them work with my slatwall inserts. 

I put a cutting wheel on my grinder and cut down the supports to fit. 


I mounted the slatwall shelve in my vice. 


Cut it the supports. 


Changed the way it was mounted put a grinding disk in my grinder and ground it down some more. 


My kid took a photo of me grinding it down. 


It now fits in the wall. 


At that point other projects got in the way and this one was put on hold, but I finally got back to it today. 

I repeated the process on the rest on the shelves and they now fit. 


I then loaded up some tools on the shelves.


I love all the storage space this gives me.

No comments:

Post a Comment