Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Registering a non-running 1968 Mustang

I took a half day off from work to deal with registering the car today. 

First I had to have a VIN inspection done by the Kansas Highway Patrol. To do the inspection they had to have the car off the trailer. I took all my blocks and tie downs off, pushed her back to the edge of the trailer, wiggled in through the barely opening door and push her back with my arm out the window and my foot on the brakes such as they are. She rolled half way down the trailer and bottomed out. Ouch, my poor car!

I climbed back out and unhitched the trailer after blocking a wheel on the trailer. The front of the trailer went up, the rear went down, and the car stared rolling away! Oops. Fortunately the hill was a small one and the car rolled up on a curb and stopped before it could hit anything. 

I pushed the car back away from the curb, put her in gear to keep her from rolling away, and the trooper came out to do the inspection right about then.

I had a bad moment when the driver's door didn't want to open for the trooper to look at that, but I think it had accidentally gotten locked when I climbed out.

The trooper verified the VIN on the title matched the one on the door and the frame inside the engine. 

The inspection cost me $20. 

Because the car isn't running they only let me do a non-highway registration.

After that I spent the next half hour or so slowly cranking the car back onto the trailer with a come-along and a couple of chains.

Compared to the inspection the DMV was easy. The lines were almost non-existent so I waited less than 5 minutes. 

The nice lady who helped me had only ever done one other non-highway title-only registration so she had to ask someone for a bit of help with that, but otherwise it was a smooth process.

When the car is running I can get a one day tag from the DMV, use that to drive up to the highway patrol station, get her inspected again, and then get her registered and get a license plate.

The title transfer cost $10 and the sales taxes were $98.

I did have to sign a statement saying I was not sure the mileage was accurate to have it listed as exempt on this title.

The odometer reads 78,596. That could be accurate, or the real mileage could be one or two hundred thousand more miles than that. Who knows with these old odometers that turn over at a hundred thousand miles. 


Here are a few more pictures just because. :-)






Door plate. I will decode this later. 



There's beauty in this old hardware. 

This is a good anology for the state of the car in general. Beautiful, but also in rather rough shape to say the least. 

3 comments:

  1. I got curious about where you got started. Does the Highway Patrol not know that the door tag is not the VIN? It's the tag on the right side of the dash. My cousin when through that mess with her '67 in KY because the driver's door had been replaced and the door tag wasn't transferred. The state actually titled it with the number on the door tag. She finally got it straightened out but it took some convincing that the VIN stamped into the driver side fender apron was the real VIN. At least you have a clean title now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the trooper wanted them to match between the door and the fender. I will have to check if I even have a vin inside my windshield on my dash or not. I sort of of thought the vin on these was just the one on the fender.

      Delete
    2. So I checked and I do have a vin tag inside the windshield on the right side of the dash. However, it's barely connected and so dirty and curroded that you can't read all of all the numbers. There is a 9 and a 3 you can only read the tops of.

      Delete