Saturday, January 28, 2017

Removing the front bumper from a 1968 Mustang Coupe

I have been reading through this blog http://68vert.blogspot.com/ again and this inspired me to get back out to the garage and at least start to make some progress on the restoration of Lola, my 1968 Mustang Coupe. I decided to start by removing the front bumper since it looks like almost all of the front bumper and grill area of the car will need to be taken off in order to get the fenders off.

The bumper is held on by four bolts along the front and a smaller bolt on each side. I was missing one of the side bolts when I got the car, so that left me with five bolts to remove.

Bumper on the car before removing any bolts.
 





Missing driver side bumper support.


Passenger side copy of the bumper support I am missing on the driver side.
 
The bumper is off the car.

This may be the only original style bolt, or this one might not be original either. Its kind of hard to tell with this car.

This is a shot of what that bolt looked like on the car.
 
 
Here are some shots of the front bumper supports.
 



One of these things is not like the others.

It looks like this bumper support was replaced at some point since this one has no rust and is painted black.


The next step in the restoration of my 1968 Ford Mustang will be removing the stone guard that sits behind and below the bumper. Hopefully I will get that done soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment