Sunday, February 19, 2017

Identifying the Carburetor

The carburetor that came on my car is a Carter YF-6051SA. Based on a quick internet search it looks like this type of carb didn't originally come on 67-68 Mustangs so it is certainly not the original carb that came with the car. I am not even sure the engine is the original one that came with the car though, so this isn't a worry.

It looks like rebuild kits for this thing run in the $20 range so I may decide to rebuild it and use it to save some money on buying a replacement. 






Sorry, this one is upside down.
 

2 comments:

  1. I would do just as you're planning. The 6-banger carbs are pretty simple. Just be sure to blow compressed air through all the passages before reassembly and you should be good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I found a couple good videos on YouTube showing how to do this. There are quite a few steps but none of them look hard.

      Delete